Thursday, November 24, 2011
Merry Management
I think a lot about how to keep students engaged and, well, under control. My experience in middle school gave me a glimpse of how classrooms can be learning communities or just a place for kids to hang out during the day. It only takes one person to get the plan off-track. I think the key to starting off on the right foot and staying on course is to lay out the expectations first. The teachers who started class with a statement of expectations were making sure no one could say they didn't know what they were supposed to be doing. During the class period, expectations might need to be reviewed for a few students and the time was taken to do that.
This video demonstrates another way to lay out expectations for younger students. I thought it was fun and warm, yet the message is clear. Might have to warm up the uke!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I LOVE IT! I can't wait to use music as an integral part of the classroom, and it's something I am missing in my placements. This is a wonderful example, and I look forward to making my own teacher song! Can't wait to hear yours! Thanks for posting this!
ReplyDelete